Wicham Inpui: Self Taught Tattoo Artist (Discovering Emerging Youth Series 1)

Wicham Inpui

Wicham Inpui originally from Ijeirong village. His parents reside in Sangtamtila, Dimapur, Nagaland. Currently, he is based in Chirag Delhi, New Delhi.  Antrimwanbut Khwan (AK) sat down with this emerging tattoo artist and talk about his journey so far and his future plans.

AK: Tell us about your family, siblings, education and where you grew up.
Wicham Inpui: I am the eldest among the 3 siblings. I was born and raised in Dimapur, Nagaland. I did my schooling from Livingstone Higher Secondary School, Kevijau and my secondary (XII) from Ram Janaki College. After my XII, I worked in private press in Dimapur for around 5 years before coming to Delhi.

AK: When did you start tattooing? Where did you learn this art form?
Wicham Inpui: It’s just been a year now, I saved up some money and ordered necessary tattoo kits somewhere in 2015. Since then, my friends were kind enough to use their skin to try my skill out. I’m self-taught and in this yearning, YouTube was helpful as I look up on YouTube for any doubts and best tattoo practices. I’m still learning this art. Every tattoo I do, I’m learning something new.

AK: Who is your inspiration?
Wicham Inpui: Actually, I had a schoolmate who was a very close friend too. We used to draw together and sell those drawings for few bucks. And I used to write quotes on my room walls and had the fascination for tattoos. And this friend of mine starts uploading tattoo works on his Facebook wall. It caught my attention further and yes tattoo became my hobby and source of income as well. I look up to Mo Naga (Headhunters’ Ink) and Alex Shimray (DevilsTattooz), two well known Naga tattoo artists.

 Above & below, some of his finished tattoos, Image credits: Wicham Inpui


The tattoo artist at work, Image credits: Wicham Inpui


AK: What are the design patterns that you incorporate in your tattoo?
Wicham Inpui: Since I’m new to this art, I would like to learn every style of tattoos but my favorite is realism tattoo. Even though I haven’t tried it out once. As of now, I’m comfortable and confident with Mandala and tribal designs.

AK: Have you tried Naga indigenous tattoo or use Inpui cultural dress patterns in your art?
Wicham Inpui: Would love to use the pattern in the future. Any Inpui guys ready for that? (laugh).

AK: When did you start taking tattoo seriously?
Wicham Inpui: Just recently, I have been getting a positive response from both clients and friends. This support base has boosted my passion so far.

AK: How much can one earn as a tattoo artist? Can this be an alternative career choice?
Wicham Inpui: There is no limit. It also depends on the size of the tattoo, the size and the complicacy of the design affects the cost. Many youths have odd childhood tattoos so clients are available (laugh). There is a growing demand in this field. One can opt for this as a full-time career. For me, its liking what I do and getting a flow of income. It makes me feel good in the end.

AK: What’s your big plan? Any plan to open a tattoo studio or anything of that sort?
Wicham Inpui: Don’t know what future holds for me but I do have an ambition on mastering this art myself in a specific field of tattooing. And would definitely love to work in a reputed tattoo studio.

AK: Is it safe to get inked without any expert supervision?
Wicham Inpui: No. Safety and hygiene come first for the artist and the client. Right from the start until the completion of the healing process. The client must fully take care of his or her tattoo as it is likely that the wounds will open up.

AK: Any comments for all those who are thinking of getting inked one day? Any dos and don’ts?
Wicham Inpui: No random and odd designs as it will last a lifetime. Take your time. Find the artist, check out his works. Get in touch with the artist before getting inked. Exchange ideas and designs. And finally, no intoxication while tattooing.

              
      Some of the finished tattoos, Image credits: Wicham Inpui

 AK: Any thing you want to say to Inpui youths or the youth at large?
Wicham Inpui: Any odd old cover up???? You guys can reach me (laugh). Tattoos last for a lifetime and not the relationship.

AK: Any comment on Antrimwanbut Khwan?
Wicham Inpui: Thanks to the editor and the team. I am grateful and humbled for the interview. And finally, thanks to everyone who believed in me.

You can reach the artist on his Facebook # Wicham Puimi Naga, Instagram @ Champinpui.

If you want any youth to feature in this blog, kindly let us know. We will meet up and have a conversation.


Comments

  1. Tattoo school in delhi

    Friends Welcome to our Tattoo Training Program. We Provide Basic And Advanced Training For Tattoos.If you are thinking of Making your future in Tattooing, Then This Time Will Prove to Be Good for You.Tattoo industry Has A Very Good future in the coming Days.In the Advance Tattoo Training Program, You Will Also Learn To Sketch, Which Will always Help You to Move Forward.
    For more information visit here:

    Best tattoo training in delhi
    Best tattoo training in india
    Tattoo training center in delhi
    Tattoo courses in delhi
    Tattoo training institute in delhi
    Best tattoo academy in delhi
    Tattoo classes in delhi
    Tattoo school in delhi
    Tattoo art classes in delhi
    Tattoo art classes in India

    Call me: 9313-666-999

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really loved reading this article..
    Thanks for sharing such a amazing post with us.
    Temporary Tattoo Artists
    tattoos in hitech city

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a wonderful article stating about the wicham inpui self taught tattoo artist. Here you will get to know in detail about the topic which are in demand. I enjoyed alot while reading this article and would recommend other too. Check auckland tattoo shops

    ReplyDelete
  4. A talented, experienced, and skillful tattoo artist always the best person to create some great tattoo designs. The images of the tattoo designs you shared are awesome. Keep creating, and keep designing. Thank you for sharing the post. Visit the best tattoo shop in Goa to get a beautiful tattoo designs for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really appreciate for your efforts you to put in this article, this is very informative and helpful. I really enjoyed reading this blog. Keep sharing and give us updates.
    Best japnese tattoo artist

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts